Enjoy this delicious + nutritious plant based birria recipe. So damn tasty. You can thank me later ;) I have literally tricked people into thinking this is real meat. The chiles heal me every time. Perfect if you're trying to transition into a vegan diet or just trying to add more plant based meals into your life.
In this recipe, we will be using Jackfruit as a meat subsititute! It has the perfect pulled meat texture. Pair with arroz y frijoles or make some tacos if you're short on time.
• 3 dried California Chiles
• 3 dried Chile de arbol *optional
• 2 dried guasillo chiles
• 1 large white onion, quartered
• 6 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp whole cumin
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/8 tsp all spice
• 3 bay leaves
II Birria Meat:
• 2 lbs jackfruit
• 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
• 2 tbs vegetable oil
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 12 corn tortillas
• 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds *optional
• chopped Cilantro, for serving
• Dice onion, for serving
• Lime wedges, for serving
1. Cut open the dried chiles with scissors + remove the seeds.
2. Meanwhile, place onions and garlic on parchment paper lined baking tray and massage w 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place in oven on the middle rack. Broil for about 25-30 min or until the onions and garlic are darker in color and charred on the outer parts
3. When the chiles are rehydrated, drain them and place them in a blender with roasted onions, garlic, 1 cup broth, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and the seasoning. Blend until smooth
4. Transfer the sauce into a saucepan on medium high heat with the remaining 3 cups broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for an hour.
I Birria Meat:
1. While the chiles are rehydrating and the onions and garlic are in the oven, start shredding the jackfruit, using hands or spatula. You can do this simultaneously, so that by the time you're done shredding the jackfruit, the pepperes are rehydrated, and the onions & garlic are charred.
2. Once jackfruit is shredded, season it with apple cider vinegar, oil, garlic powder, and salt. Massage in to ensure all the pieces are coated. Cover it and let it marinate while the sauce is simmering.
3. After the consommé has been simmering for an hour, its time to cook your 'meat'! Add a bit of oil to a large skillet on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add marinated jackfruit in an even layer and cook until the edges begin to crisp up a bit, about 15 minutes. Once jackfruit is crisp around the edges, add about 1.5-2 cups of the sauce and cook, stirring often, about another 5 minutes
II Tacos Quesabirria (optional) :
1. In another pan on medium heat, add a bit more oil. Dip corn tortilla into the pan- repeat with as many tortillas that will fit in the pan. Add a spoonful of vegan cheese and a couple tablespoons of the jackfruit 'meat' onto one side of the tortilla. Cook until the bottom of the tortilla. Cook until the bottom of the tortilla is slightly browned and crispy, about 1-2 minutes. Fold tacos in half, gently pressing with a spatula.
* Repeat process with oil, sauce, tortillas, and remaining meat.
2. Serve tacos hot with onions, cilantro, fresh lime wedges, and additional sauce for dipping sipping ;)
III El Fin :
Y listo! You're all set, Enjoy! <3 Pair Birria with arroz Mexicano and beans or make some quesabirria's! (See part II) Invite some friends over and make it a party ;) If you're feeling lazy, make tacos and call it a day. Top if off with lemon, cilantro, and onion for a classic look Yumm
Did you try this recipe? Comment below your experience or tag us in ur pics